Smoked Yoghurt & Carrot Salad
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as entree
The old smoked yoghurt is one of my most favourite things from Melbourne Pantry. Put it with carrots and there’s two of my favourite things!
This is a tweaked version from the one in my book, after an idea that came from Mr. Darren Robertson of Three Blue Ducks - the second most handsome man in food (after me, of course!)
Bold = available at Hams and Bacon
150g smoked yoghurt (I use Melbourne Pantry)
3 bunches baby carrots, washed with all leaves on
½ cup flat leaf parsley, leaves only
4 cloves smoked garlic (I use Bellellen Grampians Organics)
2 tablespoons dukka
1 tablespoon almonds (I use Happy Fruit)
1 tablespoon blonde sultanas (I use Happy Fruit)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
good pinch salt
2 tablespoons chardonnay vinegar (I use Lirah)
4 tablespoons honey (I use Melbourne Rooftop Honey)
4 tablespoons olive oil (I use Cockatoo Grove)
½ tablespoon orange flower water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C. In a bowl, mix together the smoked yoghurt and milk. This just makes the yoghurt looser and easier to spread. Keep to the side.
2. Cut the tops (leaves) from the carrots and set aside. Then, season the carrots themselves with oil, salt and pepper and char-grill. Once they have some lovely char-lines, place onto a tray and bake for 8-12 minutes, until tender.
3. Char the carrot tops a little, then roughly chop and place into a pestle and mortar. Smash the carrot tops and parsley together until they start to break up, then add garlic, dukka, almonds, sultanas, Parmesan & salt and give a good smash for a minute or two.
4. Add the wet ingredients and give a good mix around. What you’ll end up with is a kinda carrot top pesto!!!
5. Add the carrots to a mixing bowl, slicing some in half if you like, and then dress with the carrot top pesto. Place some of the smoked yoghurt on the base of the plate, add the carrots, add a little more dressing and some more yoghurt to finish, then eat – delicious!